February North Beach Association Meeting

A meeting of the Directors for the North Beach Association was held Monday, February 11th.   The items discussed at that meeting were:

  • The North Beach Association has a new website.  It is www.NorthBeachAssociation.com
  • There is a new Facebook page, which is www.facebook.com/NorthBeachAssociation/
  • It has been noticed that there are many cracks in the sidewalks along Atlantic Beach Boulevard (SR A1a).    In order to get the County or FDOT to repair the sidewalks the areas of cracks must be more specifically identified.   If you often walk along the sidewalks and want to report areas of severe cracks, the best way is to take a picture of the sidewalk cracks AND the neighboring areas (condos, homes, signs), and even better the GPS coordinates if you can get them from your phone, and send those to the North Beach Association.    Jeri and Peter Bullock will accept these photos from you and forward them to the NBA.
  • You may have noticed that Old Dixie Highway is closed at Shorewinds Drive.     It is likely to be closed for a fairly long time.   During Hurricane Irma high water and waves washed away the soil at the Old Dixie Hwy bridge pilings over Taylor Creek.     A decision to repair or replace the bridge has not yet been made.   In the meantime the Old Dixie Highway "shortcut" to/from US 1 will remain closed.
  • Juanita Avenue west of US 1 is also closed in places as part of the project to widen the road.

Of special interest - The new North Beach Association website has a nice History of Hutchinson Island.   This pdf document can be located on the North Beach Association website on the right at More/History or you can Click Here.

Comcast to Begin Re-Cabling

Cabling installed with the original building construction in 1989 was designed to support the satellite TV services available at that time.    That existing cabling in the units does not support Comcast's latest technologies for TV, such as "whole home DVR services".   As part of Tiara's latest contract with Comcast, Comcast agreed to upgrade, at their expense, the cabling within each of the units so that every homeowner would have the cabling necessary to take advantage of Comcast's advanced TV offerings, beyond those provided as part of Tiara's bulk contract for TV services.

The first step is to upgrade the cabling from the telco closet to the service drop in each unit.  This re-cabling will require Comcast to access every unit.

The second step will upgrade the cabling from the service drop in the unit to the individual cable outlet(s) within the unit.  These upgrades may include some visible surface materials, such as white wiremold raceway, additional access cover plates in a wall or ceiling, or other cabling materials as needed.

Every owner will receive a letter from Elliott Merrill about the cabling upgrade, mailed to the owner's address on record with EM.   Additional letters will be available in the Tiara mailrooms.   The Tiara Telecom Committee and the Board of Directors endorse this cabling upgrade which will allow the unit owner to request and receive the most current Comcast TV offerings. The full re-cabling project is anticipated to be completed over the next few months.

If you do not wish to be included in this cabling upgrade within your unit you must sign and return to Elliott Merrill, no later than March 5th, the Opt-Out letter that will be part of the package mailed to you by EM.   If you DO NOT return the Opt-Out letter it will mean that you DO wish to take advantage of the cabling upgrade, at no cost to you.

Comcast is beginning the re-cabling project on Monday, February 19th.  The first phase of the work will begin at the 15th floor of the South building, work its way down to the 1st floor, and then proceed to the North building. Step 1 will be completed for all units.   Step 2 will be completed if the owner is present to agree to the work, otherwise deferred to a later phase.   When the Comcast technicians need to enter the unit and no one is present a Telecom Committee Member or a Board Member will accompany the technician into the unit.

Phase 2 of the re-cabling project will commence immediately upon completion of phase 1 and will complete the second step of the upgrade for all the units deferred from phase 1, except those units where the owner specifically "Opted-Out" in writing by March 5th.   During this phase the Comcast technician will enter the unit to proceed with the cabling upgrade, accompanied by a Telecom Committee Member or a Board Member when the owner or renter is not in residence.

It's important to note:

  • Owners who Opt-Out may not be able to access all of Comcast’s advanced TV features.
  • Owners who decide to upgrade the unit’s Comcast cabling after the completion of phase 2 will be responsible for the full cost of those cabling modifications.

For more information, read the full letter that you receive from Elliott Merrill or pick up in the Tiara Mailrooms.

If you have questions, talk to Bob Alexander, Ed Galvin, Pete Bullock, Jeri Bullock or anyone else on the Telecom Committee or on the Board.

 

Update – Tiara Storage Lockers

As many of you know, I have been working to identify the storage locker currently used by each unit.    In each building there are 73 storage lockers - 1 for each unit in the building.    The list that was once accurate became woefully out of date as units were sold and new owners came in.    Sometimes information about the storage lockers is not passed to a new owner;  sometimes the departing owner did not choose to empty the unit's locker.   In some cases a new owner, or even a renter, assumed that an empty locker was available on a first come/first served basis.   And thus the list that was once accurate became out of date.

Thanks to the help of many of you a new "almost accurate" list has been compiled.

SOUTH BUILDING

The lockers for the South building are, I believe, correctly identified.     A temporary label with the unit number has been affixed to the upper rail of the locker.     If you find an error, please call me at 772-577-3838.

NORTH BUILDING

The lockers for the North building are ALMOST all identified.    There are just a few discrepancies - I have not been able to confirm the ownership of a few lockers.     Again,  a temporary label with the unit number has been affixed to the upper rail of most of the lockers.    But because there are still some "holes" in my list, there are probably a few errors in my labeling.      If you are using a locker and you now believe that the label I've placed on it is wrong, i.e. that's not your unit, email me or call me and let me know your unit and the locker that YOU are using.    If you are using a locker and there is NO label on the upper rail, email me or call me and let me know your unit and the locker that you ARE using.     If you're in residence and find one of these discrepancies the easiest thing to do is to note the correct locker number on the clipboard in the Mailroom.   If you're a renter and notice a discrepancy you can also update the list on the clipboard.

Renters should only be using the lockers assigned to the units which they are renting.    In some cases the unit owner may have decided NOT to allow his renters to use the storage locker.    If that's the case then, as a renter, you should store your beach belongings in the unit.

The units in the North building that I still need to confirm with a locker number are:  103, 301, 303, 405, 505, 602,  702,  705, 803, 805, 901, 1001, 1002, 1301, 1501, 1502.       If you're the owner of one of these units but are not in residence and do not know your locker number, contact me and I'll be glad to send you some pictures of lockers to help with the identification process.     If you know which Storage room you use (to the North or South of the big mirror) and whether your locker is an upper one or lower one, all that is important information that will help me identify your locker.    If you know what's stored in your locker, e.g. luggage, paint cans, trophies, golf clubs, beach stuff, any and all of that information can help with the identification.   If you know your locker number, email or call me and let me know.

At the same time, there are several lockers that are definitely "in contention".  These are 15, 25, 69.    In these cases either (1) a unit owner that I suspected was using one of these 3 lockers has signed in the Mailroom for a different locker, or (2) no one has signed for the locker and there are belongings in it and I have absolutely no clue whose it is.

If your best friend or next door neighbor lives in one of these units but probably won't get this Newsletter please help Tiara out by working with your friend to get the correct locker number to me.

Reply to the Newsletter or

Contact Jeri Bullock at 772-577-3838 or at jerib99@gmail.com

 

 

 

Card Games at Tiara – Join the Fun

Mahjong - New at Tiara this year

Mahjong players meet at 7:00 pm in the South party room on Tuesdays and all are invited.  Any questions please  call Charlene Palmisano at 239-287-7753.

Bridge - Refresher Classes New this year

For anyone who has played Bridge years ago and would like a refresher on bidding, play, or strategy, Barry Bragin is hosting a Bridge Refresher class on Thursday evenings at 6:30 pm in the South party room.  The Refresher class lasts for 30 minutes, and participants are invited to join the regular Bridge play at 7:00 pm.     To sign up for the Refresher class contact Barry at 301-580-3537.

If there's enough interest there could be an introductory Bridge class later this year or next.

Canasta

Everyone is invited to play Canasta at 1:00 pm on Monday afternoons in the South party room.     No experience needed.    Contact Mary Masciana at 772-429-2498 for more information.

Poker

Poker is played on Tuesday evenings at 7:00 pm in the North party room.    New players can contact Christos Tzanetakos at 772-489-5505 for more information.

 

 

President’s Summary – Board Mtg Jan 18, 2018

The first Board Meeting of 2018 was held Thursday January 18, 2018, in the South Club room.     President Bill Dicker summarized the discussions and actions taken at that meeting.

                                                     President’s Summary

Board of Directors Meeting – Thursday, January 18, 2018 – Two hours – 15 minutes

Given the length and complexity of the meeting, I will use a list rather than a narrative

  1. Committee Reports: TELECOM – Level 4 up and available; Comcast will re-wire the building for upgraded services in the next three months. LANDSCAPE – New plants/shrubs to replace old and dying plants/. DECORATING – North building to complete wall paper removal and new painting in fitness room, bathrooms, and community room.  ELEVATOR – Community Meeting in late January on elevator modernization. PARKING– new car decals for owners & guests – paper passes for contractors – shortage of parking spaces in north lot.
  2. Old Business
  3. Attorney Review of Architectural Review Concept – APPROVED and OPERATIONAL
  4. New Garage and Garageport Exterior Lighting – INSTALLED
  5. A1A wall, irrigation system, A1A Shrubs and Trees - COMPLETED
  6. Spa – REMARCITE IN FEBRUARY and New tennis Court Fence – WEEK of JAN. 22
  7. Dryer Stack clean-out – ONE LEFT TO DO
  8. Approve cost of catwalk repair ($1,690.00) in front of 1203S – APPROVED & COMPLETED
  9. Unit Keys – ONE OWNER NON-COMPLIANT
  10. Painting and Restoration of Unit and Stairwell Doors: 3 estimates – CONTRACT APPROVED
  11. Pool Temps – WILL REMAIN AT 84 DEGREES DURING POOL HEATING SEASON
  12. New Business
  13. Purchase/ install of three sconce lights ($370.00) in crossover walkway - COMPLETE
  14. Donation of a Painting to the Association (ACCEPTED BUT TABLED)
  15. Purchase/ Install of two heaters for the north pool ($9,000.00 ?) - DONE
  16. Install new electrical service ($1,800.00) for heaters in both pool areas - DONE
  17. Purchase/ install of 2 new pumps ($6,900) and 1 motor ($2300) for the HVAC system in the North bldg.. - APPROVED
  18. Clean-out main sewer drain north bldg.. to the street ($1750)  - DONE
  19. Purchase of two new spa covers ($1900-$2100) pending estimates - APPROVED
  20. Agenda/Board Objectives for 2018 - APPROVED
  21. Damaged front gate – Propane delivery truck – COMPANY HAS TAKEN RESPONSIBILITY
  22. APPROVE direct propane line to grills ending use of small tanks
  23. APPROVED Repair of south wall of North Bldg Party room = $1,000.00
  24. New Business:
    1. Adopt a new rule: All unit sales are conditional upon a positive shutter inspection. The cost and repair of the shutter if necessary to be negotiated between buyer and seller in advance (in writing) of the actual submission of sale application.
    2. Send violation/fine letters t o two owners for rule violations.
    3. Consider a new rule mandating a shutter inspection when a unit is being sold – the cost of which and necessary repairs to be worked out between the buyer and seller as a condition for Association approval of the sale. (Approved)
  25. Adjournment

 

Respectfully submitted by,

Bill Dicker

 

 

2018 Tiara Owner Directories Available

The 2018 Tiara Homeowner Directories are now available.

All owners and annual lessees may pick one up:

  • in the Lobby of the North Building on Monday January 22 from 10 am to Noon.
  • in the Lobby of the South Building on Tuesday January 23 from 11 am to 1 pm.
  • in the Party Room of the South Building on Monday January 22 from 1 pm to 3 pm.
  • from Jeri or Pete Bullock in 1505 S any time this week.  Call to confirm someone is home.

The unclaimed directories will be mailed out by Elliott Merrill shortly after January 29th.

 

Paying Your HOA Fees Online

New information from Elliott Merrill if you want to pay your HOA fee online.      As far as I know this information is good for the January 2018 payment;   if I find out it changes for later HOA fees I'll post an update.

To make your online payment, please go to https://revo4server.com/master/index.php/revo/properties/tiaratowerscoainc/login  You do not have to create an account to make a payment.  You may simply click “Make  A Quick Payment” and follow the online prompts from there.  You will need your Account Number with Elliott Merrill.

Another option is to call Elliott Merrill and pay by phone.

 

January 2018 North Beach Association Meeting

On Monday January 8th the North Beach Association held its first Members' Meeting of 2018.    The NBA is open to anyone who lives on North Hutchinson Island and is willing to pay the $20 annual membership fee.  There are 2 or 3 Member Meetings throughout the year.

Jeri and Pete Bullock attend these meetings on behalf of the Tiara Towers owners who may not elect to join the NBA themselves.    At the Jan 8th meeting Cathy Townsend spoke.   Ms Townsend is the County Commissioner who represents us (5th District, which includes North and South Hutchinson Island, Lakewood Park, and most of the areas west of I-95).

Ms. Townsend shared with the meeting attendees a fairly long list of items currently before the County Commission or on Ms. Townsend's radar as of interest to North Hutchinson Island.

  • Construction work on the new North Causeway Bridge is on track to begin in 2019, slightly earlier than forecast.  The bridge will be at maximum height, 86' at its highest point.  Work is currently in design and permitting stages.
  • The project to replace the septic system in Queens' Cove with a sewer system is currently on hold.    It has been determined that the improvement to the environment that would be gained by the project is minimal and so it is on hold for the time being.
  • There are new docks at Pepper Park along the River, with completion this month.    The County is expecting a lot of use by local fishermen at the new docks. The next plans are to resurface the road and parking area.
  • RV parking at Pepper Park is being relocated to the West side of A1A, freeing up parking closer in to the beaches and tennis courts for cars.
  • There is a new sewer line going in at Sea Palms which will cross Highway A1A.     There may be construction delays due to the road  work related to this new sewer line.
  • Although the island can now be postal addressed as Hutchinson Island, neither Google Earth nor Google Maps correctly recognize that identification.    Ms Townsend's staff has filed the paperwork required to get Google Earth updated.
  • FDOT maintenance staff is going to try once again to address the flooding along A1A that occurs with every heavy rainstorm.    Options are limited since untreated rain water cannot be piped into the rivers.    Solutions to the flooding may include recutting the swales or deepening them.
  • HR Bill 7105 is will ask for a raise in the Homestead Exemption.   While this sounds good, Ms Townsend is advising voters that this raise will only be available to owners of residences appraised at $100k - $125K.    Most of the voters on Hutchinson Island will not see any property tax relief from this measure.
  • There is also a move to raise the sales tax in the County by 1/2 cent to 1 cent, with a 10 year sunset for this tax increase.   This sales tax increase can be used for infrastructure projects only.  The money raised by the sales tax increase will come from the residents of the County but also from the tourists and businesses that frequent St Lucie County.
  • The County has established an Emergency Operations Center at the Fairgrounds, 15305 W Midway Rd.   The Division of Emergency Management Operations Center provides a coordinating point for the effective management of local emergencies to catastrophic events in and around St. Lucie County. It is the lead organization in coordinating disaster response from a municipal level to state and federal.  If you would like to tour it you can attend the county-wide HOA meeting, to be held there on Thursday January 18th at 10 am, and afterward get a tour of the Ops Center.
  • St Lucie County has purchased the working area of the Port of Fort Pierce named the Indian River Terminal for $24 M.  They will finance the purchase with a Bond issue.  The County has made the 1st cut to receive grant money of $12M to develop the Port.   Check out this webpage for information about construction and projects at the port.  http://www.stlucieco.gov/departments-services/a-z/public-works/port-of-fort-pierce-new
  • The County has developed an Airport masterplan which is available at this webpage and it has many details about the airport expansion planning. http://www.stlucieco.gov/departments-services/a-z/administration/airport/airport-expansion
  • Work is beginning on a new Mets Stadium in Port St Lucie.

    From TCPalms:

    St. Lucie County plans to start a $55 million renovation of First Data Field after the New York Mets spring training in 2018 and finish most of the work in time for spring training in 2019, team representatives said Monday night.

    The Port St. Lucie City Council voted unanimously Monday to approve the renovation plan, which includes constructing a concourse that would wrap around the field and provide fans with views of the bullpen beyond the centerfield wall.

    The 360-degree outdoor concourse is a popular feature that is being incorporated into many baseball stadiums, said Paul Taglieri, St. Lucie Mets general manager.

    Other improvements include the addition of 38,767 square feet to the stadium and clubhouse and the development of new softball fields, city records show. No additional seating is proposed.

    The stadium is home to the High-A minor league affiliate St. Lucie Mets and the spring training home of the New York Mets.

 

President’s Agenda for 2018

The Tiara Board of Directors has proposed its Agenda for 2018.   This is a list of items that the Board feels should be discussed and addressed during 2018.

Tiara Towers Agenda for 2018

  1. Monitor performance of Comcast and Level 4
  2. Monitor and manage on-going replacement of aging water heaters
  3. Continue modernization of cooling tower/HVAC infrastructure
  4. Oversee tennis court and spa renovation projects – pickle ball markings?
  5. Oversee repair of building exterior issues: spalling and cracks
  6. Prepare for painting of both buildings: bids for buildings, catwalks, railings, windows and sliders.
  7. Rust remediation & Paint remaining unit and stairwell doors
  8. Plan for elevator modernization: timing, phases and financing
  9. Replace pool area exterior lights in both buildings
  10. Replace pool loungers and tables
  11. Continue to explore conversion of pools and spas to salt
  12. Replace failing plants on both properties.
  13. Explore renovation or replacement of party room tables and chairs and possible re-purposing of party rooms.
  14. Begin planning and investigation for replacement/re-orientation of parking lot lighting.
  15. Continue to evaluate Tiara Rules, Parking, and Security needs and improvements
  16. Decorating Committee to continue with accessories and improvements for lobbies, hallways, elevator foyer, and Party rooms.
  17. Consider new tv’s in party rooms and fitness rooms.
  18. Introduce use of Architectural Review Committee and app forms for renovations requiring ARC review and approval.
  19. Consider making a pass/fail shutter inspection a condition of all unit sales

 

Architectural Review Committee

In 2017 the Board of Directors set up an Architectural Review Committee to oversee all major renovation projects undertaken by unit owners at Tiara.     Projects that require significant modifications to the unit must be approved ahead of time.    The Mission Statement and the form to be used were approved by the Board at the December meeting.  The Architectural Renovation form will be available from the website at Support / Helpful Forms and Documents or from David Pugh in the Maintenance Office at Tiara.

                          Architectural Review Committee

Mission Statement

The Architectural Review Committee was created to provide Association oversight, as an arm of the Board, of specific homeowner renovation projects (unit and/or garage) that may influence the integrity of the building and/or the well-being of Association members.  This oversight encompasses the following:

  1. Receipt and preliminary approval of Specific projects by the Committee and the Board with respect to contractors and workers involved, their credentials, some construction materials, and prospective timelines.
  2. Inspection of the work, in progress, to insure compliance with original proposal and Association Rules.
  3. To ensure compliance with all state and local ordinances that relate to the proposed project.

Projects Not Requiring Architectural Review

  1. Interior painting, wallpaper, paneling, wall tile, removal of popcorn, install of ceiling   finishes, replacement of electrical fixtures, replacement of toilets and plumbing fixtures, replacement of interior doors, installation of crown molding or trim, replacement of kitchen cabinets or bathroom vanities; replacement or install of new countertops. (Contractors who might be hired to complete this work must be licensed, insured and bonded)

Projects Requiring Architectural Review

  1. Replacement of exterior doors, sliding doors, windows, hurricane shutters.
  2. Install of floor tile (or some other product) and/or replacement of floor tile or some other product. The application of tile, stamped concrete or some other material (other than paint) to unit balconies.
  3. The replacement or relocation of existing plumbing or the install of new plumbing and/ or sprinkler heads/pipes.
  4. The removal (in whole or in part) of existing walls or the install of new walls.
  5. The relocation (or replacement) of existing electrical wiring or the install of new electrical wiring

Application Process

  1. Owners planning a renovation project requiring Architectural Review Committee and Board approval must submit the details of their project to Elliott Merrill and thus to  the Committee at least three weeks before the beginning of the project.
  2. This submission (on the appropriate form) should include the following: scope of work; contractors involved with proof of license, bonding, and insurance; copies of appropriate building permits (which may be obtained after Board approval); materials; timelines; and acknowledgement of Association rules regarding when work may be done and the responsibilities of owners and contractors (cleaning up in public spaces, not using our dumpsters, parking in appropriate places, using service entrance, work hours: 9:00AM-5:00 PM, Monday-Saturday.)

Approval Process

  1. The Architectural Review Committee will review the submitted application form and  submit their findings to the Board for approval.
  2. The Board will consider the findings of the Architectural Review Committee and render a decision in a timely manner.
  3. The Board retains full authority regarding the requested project. . .
  4. The Board may accept any or all of the Committee’s recommendations
  5. The Board may reject any or all of the Committee’s recommendations
  6. The Board may add conditions or modifications for approval as the Board deems appropriate.
  7. The Board will then, through Elliott Merrill, inform the owner of the Board’s decision.

 

Click here for the Architectural Review Form to open it as a pdf.

Arch Rev. Form